Tuesday, November 05, 2013

New Directions

Something happened after I moved to the Glass House Mountains... I'm not sure if it was the change of scenery and the fact that I watch the sky change over the mountains all day long... or if it was having the new space dedicated to creating... but what ever the reason, I'm loving it.  While I come from a visual arts background, a while ago I felt like I stopped creating "art", but now, that need, that drive, that love is back.

The Kimono Reincarnate brand is still dear to my heart but next year I'll also be designing and creating under my own name, probably with less of a Japanese influence.  I'll be having a soft launch of the new "Melanie Augustin" brand in a couple of week at Finders Keepers in Brisbane and I'm a mixture of excited and nervous.

Choosing fonts for my new logo I was suddenly transported back to maths class in high school, trying to invent a new signature for when I married the boy two rows in front of me that I had a huge crush on.


It's no secret that I love colour.  I've been doing a number of pieces on canvas and large boards and it's been great fun then translating that into fun pieces of wearable art.  No two of these earrings are the same...






I hate anything to go to waste, so at Finders Keepers I'm going to bring along the sterling silver earwires I've made and my resin chips and you can "Choose Your Own Adventure" and create your own colour combination.




I've also been making some little "Rock Pools".  I handcut little pieces of silver and hammer them to give them an organic texture and shape.  The resin inside is translucent so that you can peer into the "pools" and see to the bottom.  I love the way the texture picks up the light and colour of the resin at different angles.





I can't wait to make more of these and fill them with turquoise and some with emerald green. 

While I haven't had a chance to photograph everything yet, I'll be taking these goodies along to Finders Keepers in Brisbane and have put them up in my Etsy store for pre-order.


5 comments:

kuber... said...

Those rockpools are just lovely, Mel!

Tas said...

*sigh* More of your lovely stuff to add to my want list. Stop it!

Em Splendid said...

Looks great Melanie - how exciting to be moving in a new direction!!

littlecherryhill said...

I would love to live where you do. My mother lives in Maleny and I love the drive up from here. You're so lucky! Sounds like you've lots to do with your new brand creating!

Tachael Latchman Diaries said...

Very nice posst

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails